Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Top Ten Books I'd Want on a Deserted Island



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Here are the top ten books I would want on a deserted island...whether or not I've read them.

10. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. This book is everything I could want in a book, not to mention it's extremely long! I've been wanting to re-read it ever since I read it for the first time, so on a desert island I could really dig into it.

9. Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens. I can't die without reading a thick Dickens tome, you know. Sometimes I dream about the day I get to read this book...

8. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. A few days ago I wrote about being afraid of it, so I'd finally get a chance to face my fears. ...Yay.

7. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. After three ridiculously long books to keep me busy, here's a book I would read on days when I was feeling depressed about, you know, being stranded on a desert island. And I would finally get more time to finish it.

6. My Jane Austen collection. (That might be cheating, but technically it is one book...) I could re-read some of the great ones and finally get into the ones I haven't read yet (i.e., Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey).



5. Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Here's another huge one I'm afraid I'll never read, and I really feel like I need to. And it might be fitting to read a sea-voyage book while I'm staring at the wide ocean...

4. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. After reading North and South, I'm dying to read another by her.

3. The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. Another that I've been wanting to read. And I suspect it would make me laugh. Everyone needs that on a desert island.

2. The Complete Works of Shakespeare. (Possibly cheating again, but don't we all have it on our bookshelves?) It would take me forever to get through this, and it would be a great combination of funny, sad, brilliant, comic, deep, familiar, brand-new. Plus, it would include poetry.

1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It's a non-classic, but some days I might be tired of reading high-brow stuff and just want to read something fun. I've already re-read it a few times and I've never gotten tired of it.

Huh. I probably should have added a guide to deserted island survival or something to that list.

What books would you want on a deserted island? 

No comments:

Post a Comment